Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Penderwicks


I recently took the time to re-establish my membership at the Provo Library and the first book I read was the second Penderwick book. Boy, I loved this book! Despite loving this book, my big criticism with this series is that the little girls are far too smart for their ages, but even with that, I don't mind stretching my imagination to believe in them! One of the things I really love about this book is that the author describes the setting in such a way that it makes you wish you lived in the fictional town of Cameron, Mass, on Gardam street next to the Quigley Woods. And though the plot is somewhat predictable, the author is able to make the mundane become magical and you find yourself wanting to go on the journey with these characters even though you can guess at what might happen. To me, that is good writing! (Oh, if you have read Sense and Sensibility or even just seen any of the movie versions, you'll get some inside jokes in this book.)

2 comments:

Mika said...

So should I read the 2nd Penderwicks book? I liked the first one, but it's been a while and I don't really remember much...except the little girl is called Batty and wears butterfly wings (which really makes me want to have a little girl).

Julia said...

Yes, you definately should! It's been two years since I read the first one, but when she alludes to the previous book she explains it enough so you get it, but not so much that it takes you away from the current story. And this story is not dependant on you knowing the first book, so that's nice. Definately a fun read :D I love Batty, but I felt she developed the individual characters a lot more in this book.