Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Super Update

It's been awhile since I posted. Like forever! A lot of things have happened. I graduated in December and walked for graduation in April. It was a really nice celebration of all the hard work from the last year and all Brian had to put up with.

Brian and I enjoying the moment

Family that came (Why is grandma not in this picture?)

In December, Brian and I were on the road headed to California for Christmas when I got a call from a Provo School District official offering me a job as a part-time school psychologist! I didn't even apply! The school psychologists in Provo District had been trying a new model this year for distributing psych services, but they found they had fallen behind on testing and could not catch up. They felt if they had a part-time roving psychologist to help out with testing, meetings and some behavior evals then they could catch up and be in compliance with timelines. Some friends of mine from the program knew I was working at the state hospital and suggested my name. While it is not the most exciting job, it uses my skills and the pay is much better! 

So I said goodbye to my dear friends and students at the State Hospital and became a rover. It's been great! I've got to know a lot more of the SPED teams in the district and enjoyed meeting a variety of children. Some have been a blast to test and some have really tried my patience. I was able to bring back out a lot of my tools from last year and even found myself giving counseling and social skills lessons during some of my testing. No matter what the task is, I really do love being a school psychologist!

Now that summer is here, I got to come back to the State Hospital to work on the Children's Unit. It's definitely different than working with the teenage girls, but a good challenge. Me and another classroom assistant were put in charge of P.E. and it has been a challenge finding games that work for students that tend to be easily frustrated, controlling and argumentative. So it's more like doing games for big 3-5 year olds. I'll report on some of the successful games we find, because if they work for these guys, they work for anyone :) 

No comments: